Monday, March 11, 2013

Kitchen Progress!

So...Joe and I took a big risk and it has paid off!
Let me start from the beginning. When we bought our house, I knew that the kitchen needed a major facelift. I decided that I would try to go the refacing route in order to save some money and resources. Let me remind you of what our kitchen looked like before:


Not so nice, right?

In the fall, I had a lady from Home Depot come into my kitchen and give us an estimate for Cabinet refacing. To my astonishment, it was going to cost around $10,000! And was after a 10% discount promo. I was very disappointed and started imagining whether or not repainting could work. Or worse... whether or not I should just live with it! After a few more months I decided to try one more option: Kijiji.

I searched and found a handy man with years of cabinet making experience who was offering refacing. I called him up and he came in to take a look. His estimate was just over $2000. I could not believe it! It didn't include painting the sides of the cabinets, but I am happy to do that myself in order to save more money. This is where the risk came in, since he was asking for a 50% deposit. We asked and called references and asked for a GST #, and wrote the cheque, simply hoping that he would do a good job.

Now, about a month later, the cabinet fronts are installed! They look amazing. And the price tag still came in at under a quarter of Home Depot's estimate. I am pretty pleased. Now it's up to me to paint up the rest. I can't wait to see the finished product! It is already such a huge improvement. I will keep you updated on the rest!

Here is a sneak peak at the progress so far.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment